With less than 10 matches between now and the beginning of the January transfer window. It's time to look at positions that Napoli could be looking to upgrade. I have ranked them for what I believe to be the most immediate to the least.
1. Centerback- Currently there are only 3 healthy players at the position (Koulibaly, Maksimovic, & Albiol). Vlad Chiriches isn't projected to be back from his injury until March, and even then he won't likely be at full fitness, so expecting much out of him this season is risky. While Sebastiano Luperto should be back sooner, he's only 22 and has played a total of 91 minutes in Serie A. This doesn't even take into account that Koulibaly is being targeted by Premier League sides and could be on his way out. Losing the 27 year old Senegalese would expedite this need to epic proportions. Let's also remember that Raul Albiol is 33 years old and will likely decrease in both his number of matches played, and the quality of those appearances.
2. Center Forward- Let me first preface this by saying that Dries Mertens is fantastic and that he and Insigne are tied for 4th in Serie A with seven goals apiece. But at 31, how many more seasons can he be expected to shoulder this much of the scoring load? Arkadiuz Milik is great and looks promising but that's the only depth at the position. Bringing in a 3rd attacker would be ideal, but finding someone who would be willing to be a likely third option and see little playing time is going to be difficult.
3. Defensive Midfielder- Another position that is lacking in depth. Amadou Diawara is the only one listed on the roster at that position, but recent matches have seen Ancelotti move to a 4-4-2 with two number 6 midfielders. This has meant that long time legend Marek Hamsik has played a little deeper than usual, partnering with Diawara. Hamsek is no longer a guarantee to play the full 90 minutes so someone must be brought on as his replacement.
4. Winger/ Wide Midfielder- Insigne is 27 and may be entering his prime (an exciting thought) so he has the left side locked down. On the other side Jose Callejon is playing well, tallying five assists in the league so far. There is adequate depth behind both as well so this isn't exactly a position of need, with Simone Verdi signing in the summer from Bologna. He had both 10 goals and 10 assists last season in Serie A, so he can clearly pick up some slack should others lose form and go through a slump.
5. Outside Back- It wasn't long ago that Elseid Hysaj was considered one of the best right backs in Europe, so there is little concern on his side. Mario Rui, has talent but his double yellow card against Juventus back in September could suggest that the big games might get to him. Faouzi Ghoulam is recovering from a Knee Surgery and has made zero appearances this season, so the added competition once he returns will be a welcome boost.
6. Central Midfielder- Not only is there plenty of depth here, but it's both young and talented. Allan looks like he could be special, and Fabian Ruiz has clearly become a player that Ancelloti trusts, starting in all four of the Champions League matches to date and having the second highest player rating according to whoscored.com this season. Not bad considering he's only 22.
7. Goalkeeper- Both Orestis Karnezis and David Ospina have made at least five appearances so far this season, with Karnezis the higher rated of the two according to Whoscored.com. Neither of whom has looked out of place in the squad this season. On top of that, talented youngster Alex Muret is with the club, and his loan can be made permanent after this season, so the future looks to be taken care of as well.